Aldersgate United Methodist Church is seeking candidates to fill a part-time Music Director position.
Position details are below the contact form.
Interested Candidates can inform the church office of their interest by either using the below form or by contacting the church office during normal office hours at 937-233-8151
The position of Music Director is a salaried position under the Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) with supervision under the Worship Committee and the Pastor. The Music Director has the primary responsibility of directing the musical portions of worship services including but not limited to:
- Direct the Aldersgate Chancel Choir during Sunday morning services and any other services designated by the Pastor and/or Worship Committee such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, Maundy Thursday, early services, etc.
- Conduct Chancel Choir rehearsal for a minimum of one hour, one night per week at a time mutually acceptable to the director and members of the Chancel Choir excluding the summer months of June-August when the Chancel Choir is on summer break.
- Assist and furnish guidance to the directors of Youth and Children’s Choir and any ensembles in the preparation and scheduling for Sunday morning service(s).
- Receive and follow guidance from the Pastor/Worship Committee on matters relating to worship services.
- Supervise, build, and maintain the music library and report all purchases of new or additional music to the Worship Committee.
- Actively participate in the selection of hymns for worship service when requested by the Pastor and furnish the Church Secretary with the title of song(s) to be included in Sunday bulletin no later than the morning after rehearsal.
- Establish close working relationship with members of the choir and members of the church.
- Submit established budget for purchase of music and other related needs to the Worship Committee.
- Make sure all music is properly filed when not in use.
- Arrange for appropriate music for those services when Chancel Choir is not singing.
- Notify the Chairman of Worship Committee and SPRC in writing at least six (6) weeks in advance of resignation from this position.
- Participate in Staff meetings.
Compensation is established by the SPRC based on experience of the candidate. The rate of compensation is reviewed annually as prescribed by the Book of Discipline.
Education and Experience
It is preferred that the Music Director have education and/or experience in church music including, but not limited to:
- The ability to read music.
- The ability to develop a program of music appropriate to the worship service under the guidance of the Worship Committee and the Pastor.
- Experience in conducting a medium-sized ensemble such as a Chancel Choir and/or small group of musicians.
- Experience in leading rehearsal of a medium-sized ensemble such as a Chancel Choir and/or small group of musicians.